As partners with the City of Virginia Beach, the VBREA has members who remain actively employed within the city therefore, at times, the VBREA posts some city "happenings"...along with our VBREA items. For a comprehensive reporting of city related issues, please visit their website at: vbgov.com
Autumn 2017 begins with the autumnal equinox on Friday, September 22 and ends on Thursday, December 21. What does Equinox mean? It means "equal night"; night and day are about the same length of time on this day. The sun crosses what we call the "celestial equator"...imagine a line that marks the equator on Earth which extends upward into the sky, from north to south. At this point, the amount of nighttime and daytime are roughly equal to each other. From this point, temperatures begin to drop and days start to get shorter.
There is an old weather proverb, "If autumn leaves are slow to fall, prepare for a cold winter." It is time to break out the winter sweaters, find a favorite bench, and enjoy the beauty of nature!
Meetings are held at the following times unless changes are specifically cited within monthly listings shown in the below calendar.
VBREA Directors Board Meeting is held monthly on the third Wednesday, or as needed, at the Municipal Center in the Agriculture Building, #14 beginning at 9:30 a.m.
VBREA General Membership Meeting is held monthly on the third Wednesday beginning at 12:00 in the Golden Corral in the Redmill Mill Shopping Center, Virginia Beach unless alternate locations are noted below on our Monthly Calendar of Events.
The Involvement Committee Meeting is held the first Tuesday of each month at the Municipal Center in the Agriculture Building #14, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
The Communications Committee Meeting is held the second Tuesday of the month beginning at 9:30 a.m. unless otherwise posted. Questions? Please contact Twila Leavitt (contact information is on our Home Page.)
Monthly Calendar of Events
- September 5 - First Tuesday…Involvement Committee
- September 12 - Second Tuesday...Communications Committee
- September 20 - Third Wednesday...VBREA Directors Board Meeting
- September 20 - Third Wednesday...VBREA Monthly Meeting: No speaker -
meeting at Gus and George Restaurant
at 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd. in Virginia
NOTE: Please bring school supplies to this September 20 meeting.
chosen to help them each year. They use the items we
provide throughout the school year to make sure that each
student has the proper supplies needed to have a successful
- September 22 - Heads-up: The VBREA will participate in a pre-retirement presentation on September 22 in Building 19 (Training Rooms) at the Municipal Center. City members considering retirement within the next few years are encouraged to sign-up through your department's training representative for this very important training.
- October 3 - First Tuesday…Involvement Committee
- October 10 - Second Tuesday...Communications Committee
- October 18 - Third Wednesday...VBREA Directors Board Meeting
- October 18 - Third Wednesday...VBREA General Meeting: Erika Dillard and
Yulia Bocharova, Red Cross - meet at
Golden Corral in the Redmill Mill Shopping
Center, Virginia Beach.